What is the best month to hold your weddingÂ in Mallorca?
Hi! If you are planning on getting married in Mallorca soon, you might be wondering what month to choose:
LetÂ´s face it, most couples coming from abroad to get married here in Mallorca do it for the beautiful scenery but also for the warm weather. So Â You want sunshine but too hot could be overwhelming and rain or no sunshine a little disappointing right? Â I thinkÂ there is not really a perfect month, as the weather can be so unpredictable.
But letÂ´s see, I did a little research on ibalears.com and according to them:
- MallorcaÂ´s climate is typically Mediterranean, with warm average temperatures and seasonal rains, the summer period being both hot and dry. The annual rainfall varies across the island, from 350mm in the south to 1,500mm in the high areas on the Serra de Tramuntana mountain range.
- 40% of the annual total falls in autumn, between September and November; 25% falls in spring, between March and May; 25% falls in winter, from December to February; and summer, from June to August, sees just 10% of the yearly rain.
- The islandÂ´s rainfall is characterised by its irregularity, varying radically from one year to the next, even reaching the point where there are drought conditions. Most of the rain that falls is concentrated within a few days of precipitation, with some very heavy rains in autumn and lighter rains over the rest of the year.
- Excluding the high mountain areas, the average annual temperature is between 16ÂºC (61Âº F) and 18ÂºC (64ÂºF), with a maximum summer average of 29 to 31ÂºC (84 to 88ÂºF).
- MallorcaÂ´s physical geography is shaped by the sea, which is deep, calm and relatively warm. Mallorca is the only place in the world where the temperature at the sea bed never drops below 13ÂºC (55ÂºF). The sea regulates the islandÂ´s climate and means that seasonal temperature variations arenÂ´t as marked as they are on continental land masses at the same latitude.
I also went to weatherspark.com, click here for the linkÂ , and this is the most significant data I found:
During the year, they rarely go above 34 degrees or below 0 degrees. The warm season is from June 19th to September 14th, with average temperature of 28 degrees. The hottest day of the year has been statistically August 8th, and the coldest January 12th.Â
Between June 3rd and September 16th is when the sky is clearest. July 21st is the clearest day of the year.
It is most likely around November 10th, according to weatherspark.com. Rain is least likely around July 22nd. During the warm season (June 19th to September 14th) there are more thunder storms and during the cold season (from November 19th to March 31st) there are more moderate rains.
So this is the statistical data, but what is the truth? In reality, yes, the summer months are the driest and sunniest. I agree. However, last summer was unusually hot and dry. We had one Saharian heat wave after another. Wedding after wedding you could see the guests and bride and groom sweating so much!
If you do get married on a hot month, I would not recommend to have the ceremony in the middle of the day. But please donÂ´t have the ceremony as late as local Mallorcans do. I once went to a local wedding (as a guest) where there ceremony started at 8pm. As soon as the ceremony finished there was no more natural light. The reception was held at a beautiful finca that we could not appreciate because it was pitch black all over, and we had our main course at midnight!!! By then I was ready for cookies and milk and go to bed…zzzzz
Also, if you get married on a hot summer month, if you are a groom, consider buying an extra shirt. If you sweat too much, it looks unpleasant in the pictures. You can freshen up before the bride and groom photos and wear a brand new shirt.
You may also provide your guests with drinks before the ceremony, chinese parasols and fans.
April, May, October and November are also wonderful months to get married in Mallorca. I would say out of the four, only April is a little rainy. But the temperatures are just right, warm but not as hot as in the summer months.
I hope this helped a little, are you planning on getting married in Mallorca soon? What is your favorite month?